The EnerGuide Envelope
"The Ironwood team was very accommodating to our special requests. As the future home owners we were very involved during the construction of our home and had the ability to specify some of the subcontractors which is extremely rare. We had the custom home experience without the custom home price. Any requested changes were always accommodated and their in house cabinetry and finishing team did an awesome job!"
Achieve an EnerGuide rating of nearly 90.
Typical Energy Efficiency Ratings:
|Type of House||Rating|
|New House build to building code standards||65-72|
|New house with some energy-efficiency improvements||73-79|
|Energy-efficient new house||80-90|
|House requiring little or no purchased energy||91-100|
Canada EnerGuide: Learn More
And the Resolution
- 1.5in XPS rigid insulation beneath the basement floor slab was also extended above the top of the footings to ensure that no portion of the envelope was left uninsulated.
- Foundation walls were externally insulated with 1.5” XPS rigid insulation
- Exterior wood framed walls were externally insulated with 1.5” EPS for a total system value of R27.5.
- R35.5 Floor system insulation comprised of 1.5” external EPS foam & R-28 Polyurethane closed cell (2 lb) spray foam.
- R-50 Loose fill Cellulose Attic Insulation.
- Triple pane, dual gas filled windows c/w solar gain low E coatings throughout the home.
- Blower door tests were performed to ensure the home was sealed as tightly as possible. This is probably the most important item of all, when measuring the performance of a home!
- High efficient dual fuel hybrid heating system with 3 zones installed by Northwest Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Ltd.
- Control 4 home automation system installed and programmed by NWR Systems Inc.
- 97% efficient on demand hot water system with supplementary solar hot water system installed by Northwest Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Ltd. The home will soon be bumped to EnerGuide 90 with the addition of a 4KW grid tied solar system.